You are here

Title

Yemenite Village Timeline

1858
Rabbi Yaakov Halevi arrives from Jerusalem to Yemen and speaks about the Redemption process and the longings for Zion. 1869 – The official opening of the Suez Canal which shortens the path to Eretz Yisrael from Yemen.

1872 
The Ottoman Turks conquer Yemen and Aliyah to the Land of Israel becomes more realistic. No formal license or approvals are required to leave for Eretz Yisrael.

1881
Word spreads that Baron Rothschild (The "King of the Jews") who bought large tracts of land in Israel, is giving land to Olim, in order to encourage Jews worldwide to settle and build the Land. In the month of Sivan of this year the first 2 Yemenite families leave Seena(Yemen) for Jerusalem. A further 15 families leave Yemen in month of Av.
 

1882 
The Yemenite Aliya (אעלה בתמר-תרמ"ב ) continues with hundreds making the difficult trek to Israel. Only 150 Yemenite Jews manage to survive with little to no belongings and arrive in Jerusalem.

1883
Yisrael Dov Frumkin (Owner Havatzelet newspaper) together with others establishes "Ezrat Nidachim Society" to help support the Yemenite Jews, and to build a Yemenite neighbourhood in Jerusalem on the slopes of the Mt of Olives in the Shiloach. Boaz ben Yonatan HaBavli donates (Hekdesh) some of his lands to the Yemenite Jews in the Shiloach for this purpose.

1885
(Cheshvan) - Foundation stone for the first 3 buildings in the Yemenite Village. 1885 (Kislev:2nd night Channukah) - Dedication of the first 3 buildings including the Yemenite Beit Knesset. The Yemenite Village now numbers 450 residents.

1891
The Yemenite Village of Shiloach already consists of 66 homes and 4 Batei Knesset. (Three Yemenite Batei Knesset and one Sefardi Beit Knesset) Rabbi Said Madmoni was the 'Mori' and the Rabbi of the Village.

1908
The Yemenite Village of Shiloach now numbers 2500 Jewish residents.

1914 
Outbreak of World War one causes a financial hardship for residents of Yemenite Village. (Kfar HaShiloach)

1929
Some Yemenite families are forced from their homes in the Shiloach as a result of the murderous Arab pogroms of this period.

1938
The demise of the Yemenite Village. Following further riots and pogroms, the remaining Jewish families are removed from their homes by the British Authorities. The British promised to guard the Synagogues and other Jewish property, and they also give assurances in writing that the "Jewish refugees" will be able to return shortly to reestablish their neighbourhood. These British "promises" were never kept.

1939 
The British Mandate Authorities break their "promises" and refuse to allow the Yemenite Jews to return to their homes.

1946 
The plans by Yitzchak Ben Tzvi to rebuild the Yemenite Village and return the Yemenite families were thwarted. In the War of Independence this area becomes part of Jordan.

1967 
The idea to reestablish Jewish presence in the old Yemenite Village of Shiloach is presented to the Israeli Governmen.

2004
Renewal of the Yemenite Village in Shiloach. Jewish families and Yeshiva students return to the neighbourhood and reestablish Jewish presence in the area for the first time in 66 years. The original Yemenite Beit Knesset still remains desecrated, and "calls" out to "her people" !

Today, great efforts and steps are being taken to both redeem and renew the old Yemenite Beit Knesset by the 'Committee for the renewal of the Yemenite Village in the Shiloach.'